Tips Maintaining Water Heater Tank

Tankless water heater maintenance is fairly simple compared to traditional types of water heaters. The tankless water heaters have been on the market for quite a few years now. They are becoming much more popular as people are trying to find greener energy devices and tankless water heaters are much more efficient and only use resources to heat the water when the water is needed.

There are some downsides to a tankless water heater, such as the slow flow rate. Tankless water heater can only produce a flow between 2 – 5 gallons per minute. While large tank type water heaters produce more flow. If you do regular tankless water heater maintenance and keep your water heater running well, you can keep the flow on the high side.



Another upside of a tankless water heater is the life of the water heater is about 5 years longer then the traditional storage type of water heaters. Tankless water heaters can last between 20 to 25 years while a storage type water heater will only last between 10 to 15 years. How long your water heater last has a lot to do with how often you do maintenance to your water heater and keep it running correctly.

Tankless water heaters come in two different types. You can purchase an electric tankless water heater or you can purchase a gas tankless water heater. The gas tankless water heater will produce a higher flow of water out of the water heater, but if you are trying to do away with the use of gas appliances in your home, the electric tankless water heater will operate just fine. You can also purchase storage tanks for the tankless water heaters that will help them to produce a higher flow rate.

One step to follow when doing tankless water heater maintenance is periodically checking the inline filter. You should check the inline filter for debris and things that can get caught in the filter and slow the flow of the water. If the water is cut off from the tankless water heater it can cause damage to the water heater.

To perform tankless water heater maintenance, first make sure that the unit is turned off. You should always check your owner’s manual for tankless water heater maintenance instructions. After you have insured that the water heater is turned off, close the feed line valve. To remove the inline filter, you will have to check the owner manual. There are many different types of inline filters and you will want to follow the instructions that came with yours.

Make sure that you have a bucket or bowl under the filter when you remove it. You are almost guaranteed to have some water drain out of the filter. After the filter is removed, check and make sure that it does not have any large pieces of debris inside of it and clean it out using fresh water at one of your sinks.

After you have cleaned the water filter, you will just do everything in reverse. Reinstall the inline filter and turn the water back on. Double check to make sure that the filter is not leaking anywhere. When you are sure that the filter is not leaking you can turn your water heater back on.

Another thing you can do for tankless water heater maintenance is flush the water heater periodically. To do this, you will have to hook a hose up to the unit on the drain valve. You will then drain the tank and flush it with fresh water. Performing these small steps can increase the life of your tankless water heater and make sure that the water heater is working correctly.

It is always a good idea to read the owner’s manual when doing tankless water heater maintenance and follow the instructions. If you are unsure you can contact a professional for advice on tankless water heater maintenance or hire someone to do it for you.

29 comments:

  1. Thank you for these wonderful tips. They are going to help out a lot. We have some water heaters in calgary that are acting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is helpful. I've been wondering about tankless water heater denver for a little now. What do you think of them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routine maintenance is really essential for a water heater to avoid future problems that will cause replacement.
    Water heater maintenance

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad I found this post. I will definitely be keeping this post in mind for after I find a company that sells water heaters in Calgary. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been trying to repair and maintain my own water heater tank for some time now, only to find out I've been doing a crappy job at it and finally had to break down and call someone who does water heater repairs. I was embarrassed but it helped.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tankless Electric Water Heater Research Ecosmart ECO 27 27 KW at 240-Volt Electric Tankless Water Heater with Patented Self Modulating Technology

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. I hope you can write more good stuff like this article.

    Water Heaters Danvers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Information provided is very useful. What people want is the accurate information to maintain their gas tankers and your blog exactly provides that stuff. Wonderful Information and I hope you will write more good information like you did this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Make sure that the maintenance on your water heater is up to date. There have been accounts of explosions and fires. Thanks for the tips on how to maintain a tankless water heater.
    Fred Hutchinson | Brother's Plumbing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so afraid to touch my water heater. I am just not comfortable with that type of maintenance as a number of things could go wrong. I need to call someone to do it for me.
    Cynthia | http://www.twomenandasnake.com/water-heaters/

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad that I have a basic knowledge of how to maintain my water heater now! Does maintenance really increase the lifespan of your water heater? This would help you be more efficient with your system.
    Celine | http://www.twomenandasnake.com/water-heaters/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The tank of the water heater is one of the most important parts to keep up on. Maintaining this will ensure that it does not malfunction or cause damage. A water heater can be a dangerous thing if it is mistreated.
    http://www.brothersplumbinginc.net/Services/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have heard a lot about tank less water heaters recently. I don't know if they are better or more efficient than regular water heaters, though. What are the advantages to having a tank less water heater?
    http://www.johnnypipewrenchky.com/services

    ReplyDelete
  14. I came home from work this morning and my water heater had a huge pool of water underneath it. Needless to say, the water heater is broken, but I have no idea what is wrong. What breaks that allows the water to just flood out of the machine?
    http://www.pennyplumbing.com/services/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been debating whether to get a tankless heater or the more traditional storage type of water heater. I think this article convinced me to go for the former. If it's better for the environment, then that's all I really need to hear. I'm a bit of a hippie, so doing what's best for the earth always my first priority. Thanks!
    ======
    http://www.mccreeryhvac.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea there was this many different types of water heaters. My water heater started leaking and I tried figuring out what was wrong with it but i ended up having to call someone to come out. I must not of kept up with the maintenance as well as i should of. http://www.statewidemechanicalinc.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always thought that once you got your water heater that you didn't have to do anything to it. I guess we learn something new everyday right? Speaking of water heaters, I should probably get mine looked at soon. I know of a place here in Lexington KY that would be able to do that for me. http://www.rapidplumbinglex.com/water-heaters

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never even thought about maintaining the tank itself until our plumber pointed it out. It makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Everything inside is important, but the tank is even more crucial because it holds it all together. He gave us some of these same tips so we feel much more secure about it.

    http://www.mikehensleyplumbingandelectric.com/plumbing.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have been looking for company to help me repair my water heater. Thanks for the tips. I agree that you should have a bucket or something placed under the filter so you do not make a big mess. I will be using these tips when I look for a company.

    http://www.mechenergy.com/st-cloud-mn-water-heater.htm

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should have done more maintenance on my water heater. I need to get it fixed now. I am learning a lot about hot these things work. After I get it fixed I'm going to take much better care of it.
    http://aceplumbing.com/water-heaters

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually didn't know that maintenance for tankless water heaters is typically more simple than maintaining traditional water heaters. I've been thinking of making the switch to a tankless system for a little while now. It'd be super nice to not have to do quite so much to maintain it!
    http://www.thewrightguys.com/water-heaters/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Would you say that the most common problem with water heaters are with the pipes? I feel like a leak would be the most common problem or the water pressure. We had a couple of problems with our but it is fixed now. I might replace it if we get any more problems with the heater. http://www.mikemoore-plumbing.com/Services/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maintaining your water tank will prevent any problems you may have if you neglect it. Thanks for these great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I wasn't aware that even tankless water heaters have some disadvantages to them. I have been looking at installing a new one in my house. I will have to look more into the different kinds of water heaters before we get them installed. Would you consider using a boiler in place of a water heater? https://prideplumbingofrochester.com/water-heaters/

    ReplyDelete
  25. I really like this article because it has a lot of good tips for water heater repair. Tankless water heaters sound like a great thing to have. I do like the fact that the tankless does last 5 years longer then a traditional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful article....You can also visit best heatersfor here.

      Delete
  26. Thanks for taking the time to discuss that, I really feel strongly about it and love learning more on that topic. If achievable, as you gain competence, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is highly helpful for me.
    water heater solar

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nice posting.
    Interesting and valuable information .Thanks for sharing with us.

    Tankless Water Heater
    Industrial Water Heater

    ReplyDelete
  28. These are very amazing points given to diagnose your water heater for any faults. The article is really providing us with all of the points to be sure that your water heater is dead. Heating and Cooling Toronto

    ReplyDelete